Being involved in an Atlanta car accident can result in tens of thousands of dollars in lost wages, medical bills, and more if you must miss work to recover. You also have to consider the cost of repairing or replacing your damaged vehicle and any other personal property that is lost.
For some accident victims, the costs of being injured in a car accident can be financially devastating. If you fail to protect yourself, it may be impossible to recover the compensation you deserve and need to make up for the losses you experience.
One of the first things you should do after a car accident is to contact an experienced Atlanta car accident attorney. Without the help of legal representation, it may be challenging to prove the other driver was at fault, or you may not get full compensation for your injuries and damages.
Hiring an attorney for help with your case is a good first step. You should also learn more about the type of compensation you can receive.
Types of Compensation You May Receive
There are several types of compensation or damages you may receive after an Atlanta car accident. These include:
- Medical Bills: This includes things like time in the hospital, surgeries, doctor’s visits, physical therapy, prescription medication, etc.
- Lost Wages: Your recovery may take several weeks or longer, during which time you will be unable to work.
- Home Modifications: If your mobility is impacted or you experience other disabilities, it may be necessary to make your home accessible, and you can receive compensation for these modifications.
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity: Some disabilities and injuries will linger, which means you may not be able to work in the future.
- Future Medical Care Costs: If you require ongoing treatment for your injuries caused in the car accident, your attorney can determine a value for these and seek compensation.
- Pain and Suffering: Even when you use pain medication, the impact of a serious car accident can last for months or years and diminish your quality of life.
- Mental Anguish: If you experience flashbacks or PTSD after an accident, you may receive compensation for this.
Proving Pain and Suffering After an Atlanta Car Accident
Unlike medical bills and lost wages, it is more challenging to put a dollar value on the physical pain you experience after being involved in a car accident. One way to demonstrate your pain after an accident is by keeping a daily journal. You can record how you feel each day and what your pain is like. It is also good to document how this pain keeps you from enjoying life and what it prevents you from doing.
Hire an Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer for Help with Your Car Accident Claim
Unfortunately, car accidents happen every day in Atlanta. If you are involved in one, and it is someone else’s fault, reach out to an Atlanta personal injury lawyer right away. They can review your case and help ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.